Thursday, May 17, 2012

Trephine – Trephine

May 31, 2005 • Public Guilt

I'm afraid this will be a short review; there isn't much to say about Trephine. Their self-titled album isn't bad but after picking it back up again after so many years, it doesn't click with me the way it used to.

It exemplifies math rock well though: plenty of crunchy, heavy riffs, frequent tempo changes, constant loud-quiet-loud tradeoffs (not in a post-rock way; more of a psychotic free jazz way) and nary a riff repeated (well, not very often). I'm not very interested in the songwriting, probably because I got bored of most prog rock long ago—granted, the heavier bits can be pretty catchy and there are plenty of nice grooves and melodies all around. But the lighter stuff isn't for me.

The band's sound is pretty cool, though. Technically everyone brings a really competent performance and I love the really gritty bass sound.

So yeah... it's alright: competent and pleasant once or twice, but mostly forgettable in the end due to over-complexity and in spite of its catchiness. Maybe it's simply not for me; I can see fans of math rock and progressive rock alike getting into this, but those styles don't interest me much these days.

5

No comments:

Post a Comment