Thursday, May 17, 2012

Japandroids – Celebration Rock

June 5, 2012 • Polyvinyl Record Co.

I don't know what it is about such epic bro-rocking that tugs at my heartstrings so, but goddamn has Japandroids done it again. Their debut Post-Nothing was an instant favorite, with their fantastically catchy and optimistic brand of indie/garage rock went along well with the noisy and emo stuff I was getting into at the time (No Age and midwest indie emo), and I have been dying to hear more. Celebration Rock is everything I could have asked for.

If you've heard Post-Nothing, Celebration Rock is basically the same thing—powerful major-chord riffing, furious and insistent drumming, infectious vocal lines, and, again, some of the catchiest music I've ever heard. I don't know how they do it, but just about every song (here and on their debut) reflects the title "celebration rock" perfectly. It's all nostalgia, sentiments, and summer nights. It makes me feel feelings, way down in my emotions. How many albums do that to you? Not a lot, I'd think. It doesn't happen often to me, at least. Most of the time lyrics like "WHOA YEAH ALL RIGHT" sound campy and stupid; Japandroids makes me want to cheer and pump my fist right along with them. (Now that I think about it, it might be a byproduct of listening to too much depressing music; for people who are always into this kind of feel-good stuff it might not make as bit of an impression.)

Granted, it's not all wine and roses; there are two less-than-fantastic tracks ("For the Love of Ivy" and "Continuous Thunder"), but on the other hand, all the other tracks are pretty amazing, so it's hard to complain. Comparatively, Post-Nothing was a bit more inconsistent with a few more flat tracks and one absolutely amazing song they haven't yet topped ("Young Hearts Spark Fire"), so I think this new one is a bit of a step up in that regard. Not that it's saying a whole lot. To someone who hasn't played these albums repeatedly, they sound very similar, so if you like the one you'll probably like the other. Celebration Rock has a bit more polish although, making it technically an easier listen.

So that's enough gushing for today. Simply put, it's refreshingly one of the best rock albums I've heard in a long time, and deserves listens and accolades all around. Hop to it.

8

No comments:

Post a Comment