Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Record store haul: April 29, 2013

Another trip to Used Kids; hopefully it won't be the last before I move out of walking distance to the store (even then, I'll probably still go now and again). What I thought at first was going to be a bust of a trip turned into one of my better hauls, even discounting the three Fugazi records I passed up. (In retrospect, I probably should've picked up Red Medicine, especially considering the regular 20%-off Monday sale, but oh well.)

Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven (2×LP, $15)

Alright so maybe this was kind of a silly decision—I already have this on CD, after all—but as Godspeed is still one of my favorite bands and this copy is in practically mint condition, I couldn't resist. (Considering shipping, it was definitely cheaper than actually ordering a new one.) It's the kind of album that was definitely made for vinyl, anyway; once I get my system set up when I move it'll be one of the first ones to hit the needle.

Red House Painters – Songs for a Blue Guitar (CD, $5)

A year ago or so when I was at Used Kids, they played this album over the PA system and I quite enjoyed it (it might have helped that I could tell it was a band I already liked), so I was a bit surprised to see it one the "featured CDs" shelf. Anyway, for $5 you can't really pass it up, even if it's just a CD. It's no Down Colorful Hill, to be sure (they traded their slowcore sound for something a bit more folksy and even country-tinged in parts), but by no means a bad album and certainly worth getting.

Wir – The First Letter (cassette, $1)

I was a bit disappointed that I could only find one decent tape today, even though they'd spread out their collection on the floor (even the stuff usually tucked away on a shelf). At least I was very satisfied with what I got. Despite being down a member, this is actually pretty good as far as Wire goes—sure, it won't hold up to Chairs Missing or Pink Flag in most people's eyes (and it doesn't need to), but for later Wire I'm pretty impressed.

Agoraphobic Nosebleed / Apartment 213 – Domestic Powerviolence (12", $6)

While not my favorite part of the Agoraphobic Nosebleed catalog, I like 'em enough to have wanted to grab this one anyway. And besides, how can you pass up 320 gram yellow-orange splatter vinyl? You can't. Not even if the music is kinda weird and AnB's side isn't really even powerviolence.

The Locust – Locust (7", $3)

All these tracks appear on the Locust compilation I reviewed not too long ago, but it was neat to grab this anyway. It's their very first EP, which was release in a number of limited colors; mine is clear. Pretty raw early noisecore; niche stuff, to be sure, but cool regardless.

Sugar – Changes (12", $5)

I thought this was Copper Blue for a second and was disappointed that it wasn't; still, "Changes" is a fine song and the rest of the tracks on this maxi-single are about as good as Sugar's alternative power-pop gets. As far as the record itself goes, it's mastered really freakin' loud and doesn't take much advantage of its analog medium, which is a bit silly.

Shit and Shine – Bass Puppy (12", $3)

I'm not really sure why I got this. I haven't listened to Shit & Shine in years, and when I did, I didn't even like them. Maybe time has improved things for me, but I didn't find this release too terrible. It's some sort of power noise / brostep experimentation, with loads of distortion, power electronics, and heavy dub beats. It's one of those things that's kind of crappy, but in an endearing, artsy-underground way. Does that make it good? I dunno. (Also, limited to 500! Neato.)

Oh, and I got a free Used Kids sticker too! I don't have a picture, so you'll just have to use your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment