Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Midnight, Nekrofilth, Nukkehammer, Fumes

March 30, 2013 • Ace of Cups, Columbus, Ohio

A friend/coworker of mine invited me to this show, and who am I to turn down a show? It was definitely not one of the better ones I've been to lately (as I expected) but it wasn't bad either. I guess going with people helps (who'd've thought?). A couple people taped parts of the show; I posted links and there's more on their YouTube profiles.

Fumes

Some local hardcore band. There's barely anything to say about them—they were on and off in seriously about five minutes; they played maybe three songs. I barely remember them even playing. I think it was okay, but obviously not fantastic. Clip
5Shortest Show Ever Award (of course)

Nukkehammer

These guys were also only sort-of okay. Crossover thrash sort of stuff, with a sludgy-doomy edge to it, if I recall correctly. Maybe I just didn't care for it that much, but it seemed like pretty generic stuff to me. Not to say it wasn't enjoyable; just another band I won't ever think about again. Clip
6Most Hipster Facial Hair Award

Nekrofilth

Basically, the same as the above band. Even right after seeing them I couldn't really tell the two apart, let alone as I'm writing this three days later. More hardcore/thrash sort of stuff, perhaps a bit more "traditional" and '80s-sounding. I liked them better than Nukkehammer but only marginally. Clip
6Best Hat of the Night Award

Midnight

And finally the main event—possibly the least interesting musically of the four groups, but definitely the best set. They play old-school heavy metal, not my kind of stuff, but I don't think I've seen an audience get so riled up for a band since the Lamb of God show I went to years ago, which made it a lot more exciting. It's hard not to get excited for a band when everyone around you is so pumped and constantly pushing towards the stage. Like before, a band I'll probably never listen to again, but at least this show was kind of fun. Clip
7Silliest Masks Award

No comments:

Post a Comment