Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Why?, Astronautalis, Dream Tiger

February 18, 2013 • Ace of Cups, Columbus, Ohio

My first trip to Ace of Cups, courtesy of Why?, who slowly became one of my favorite bands a few years ago with Alopecia. Despite a few logistical hitches ("doors at 7" became "doors at 7:45", with the show itself at 8:45) it turned out to be one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Dream Tiger

I'd never heard of Dream Tiger before, despite the fact that she has apparently been a member of Why? for some time. It was surprisingly good stuff, not the sort of music I'd seek out, but I liked her quite a bit. Gloomy electronic beats and melancholic singing, a sort of slowed-down, ethereal, drugged-out Björk. The variety of sounds and instruments sampled was pretty neat as well.
6Most Seemingly Surprised at Her Success Award

Astronautalis

Another act new to me. Basically a stripped-down and more rock version of Why?, with heavy indie-rock beats (with live drums and guitar, which was neat) and a half-singing-half-rapping approach. It wasn't totally my kind of music, but I have to give the guy props for giving one of the most enthusiastic performances I've ever seen. After Dream Tiger put everyone to sleep (not in a bad way), I was surprised how easily he woke everyone back up, considering that a lot of us didn't know who he was, probably in no small part due to his admittedly funny audience-participation freestyle.
7Most Entertaining Stories About Insane Clown Posse Award

Why?

This show exceeded all my expectations, somehow. Firstly, I was impressed that everything was played with live instruments (I should've known better, but still), and the scope of them—two good-sized drumkits, a full-time xylophonist, and a part-time glockenspielist. They played a good mix of stuff, mostly newer material (of course) but a large handful of old tracks, two from Elephant Eyelash and fully half of Alopecia, which were some of the highlights for me (especially "These Few Presidents"). I guess it was partly so good because the crowd was as into those songs as I was and the atmosphere was really great. (I even tolerated the bit of singing along that happened.) So yeah—I guess it's partly that seeing one of your favorite groups makes for a good show, but they wouldn't have disappointed even the mildest fans.
10Largest Number of Fans Who Feel They Have the Need to Make Out Right in Front of Me Award

No comments:

Post a Comment