Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Technical Itch – The Machine Mind EP

January 28, 2013 • Tech Itch Recordings

I've only previously heard a few releases by Technical Itch and don't know much about the producer, although I did know he is very prolific and it wasn't too surprising that a new EP by him would crop up as one of the first releases of 2013 I'd hear. I'm nothing of an expert on this sort of music, but it's been a while since I heard some darkstep since I discovered it about a year ago. It seems not much has changed.

As far as darkstep goes, The Machine Mind EP seems typical: hard-hitting and quite fast drum 'n' bass percussion, and plenty of creepy stuff going on in the background (voice samples, violin synths, ambient rumblings, and the like). Nothing particularly new, but it's not bad, either. The tracks have a tendency to drag on, though, all of them being between six and eight minutes long. Occasionally they'll shift things up a bit to justify the runtime, but not often. "No Longer Human" definitely does, though, with its vocals and a slightly dancier and more diverse sound, making the track pretty refreshing—probably the best song on the EP.

Overall, I like it, but again it's standard Technical Itch; fans won't be disappointed, of course, but if you're holding out for something really new and interesting I'd wait a bit longer.

6

No comments:

Post a Comment