Monday, July 30, 2012

Liars, Unknown Mortal Orchestra

July 28, 2012 • A&R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio

I know, right? Going to a Liars show after I trashed WIXIW? (I didn't trash WIXIW, I gave it a 6, what are you talking about?) Anyway, I know a good time when I hear of it, and it's been a while since my last concert—too long. So to the A&R Music Bar I went, one of the stuffiest venues I've ever been to on one of the stuffiest days we've had yet. And, well, it was fun.

Unknown Mortal Orchestra

Never heard of them before, but they weren't bad. Some kind of psychedelic spacey groove rock thing, like T. Rex and Dinosaur Jr. making sweet reptilian love in orbit around the sun. Their music wasn't the most memorable, as they seem to have a really weird sense of melody resulting in songs that are very un-catchy; however their rhythm was bang-on most of the time, especially on the groovier tracks. I feel like their drummer is a lot better than he makes out to be and was holding back for the sake of their style. Anyway, not really my kind of thing, but not bad either.
5Most Bored-Looking Bassist Award

Liars

They say some bands are studio bands, and some are live bands. Liars is definitely a live band, as everything they played just sounded so much better and more interesting in concert. What is a quieter, more ambient track becomes a droning, pulsing wall of sound; a moderate rocker becomes a monstrosity of tribal drumming drenched in feedback and groaning synthesizers. It was also a heck of a lot more danceable, almost regardless of style, and the crowd took advantage of that. Most of Liars' set came from WIXIW, of course, with a handful of songs from Sisterworld and "Let's Not Wrestle Mt. Heart Attack" from Drum's Not Dead (and maybe "Drum and the Uncomfortable Can" too, I think? regardless I wasn't the only one really excited to hear something from that album). Anyway, it was definitely an awesome show and everyone had a great time even if some of the audience members were kind of douches. It happens. Absolutely worth seeing even if, like me, you didn't care much for their latest album.
8Loudest Show That I've Ever Seen Award

2 comments:

  1. you are silly I totally think a 6 is trashing the album just so you know

    ReplyDelete