Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Daniel Maze – Skuba

April 1, 2006 • Standard Klik Music

Skuba is one of the other few releases I heard eons ago when Standard Klik Music was still around. You may recall my recent review of Balkan Tropics; like that EP, Skuba is a small peek into a place I wasn't familiar with but it intrigued me. Now that I'm more familiar with glitch and ambient music, it doesn't have that same foreign appeal, but I still like it.

It helps that the EP has a really nice atmosphere; the closest thing I can think of to it is Fennesz: droning ambient synths and strings backing crackly, rhythmic noise and deep bass rumbles. But it's very subtle music—it hangs in the background, keeping to itself, and is easy to get distracted from. Not that that makes it bad, of course; at the same time it's incredibly relaxing. Fortunately that doesn't come at the cost of simplicity, as the music can get quite intricate at times with multiple layers of background ambience and foreground sounds, so attentive listening isn't difficult if one wants to take that route.

Again, fans of Fennesz and similar artists will find familiarity here, and it's not too generic to skip over if it sounds appealing. While most glitch is annoying to me, Skuba instead is peaceful and lovely.

6

No comments:

Post a Comment