Monday, June 4, 2012

Haul: Polyvinyl Records, May 30, 2012

Not too long ago I was browsing the Internet and I happened upon a picture someone had taken of their colored vinyl copy of Celebration Rock, and I soon decided I should seek out one for myself. After scouring the website of their label, Polyvinyl Record Co., I happened upon a ton of awesome albums that I felt I owed it to them to claim for myself.

As always, I spent way too much money, but Polyvinyl was awesome and not only sent my stuff in a timely fashion but included a few neat extras. Just about every indie label I've purchased from has been a really positive experience, but Polyvinyl has set the bar high.

Japandroids – Celebration Rock (LP, $16)

If you recall I already wrote a glowing review of this album not too long ago, and I figured I should be a responsible citizen and actually buy the music I like. Sadly they've been out of colored vinyl and I got plain old black, but the packaging is still pretty neat; it's got a gatefold cover and a huge 12" booklet with some concert photos. Of course, it sounds as good as it looks, but the review gets a bit more in-depth.

Japandroids – Post-Nothing (LP, $12)

Yeah, I'm a terrible person and didn't own their first album either. Well, now I do. It's packaged almost identically to Celebration Rock, as the covers suggest: it's gatefold with black and white photos inside, but it sadly doesn't have the neat huge booklet. Fortunately the music inside is almost as good. It's not as consistent as Celebration Rock but does have their so-far best song on it, "Young Hearts Spark Fire". It's a tradeoff, so why not hear both?

American Football – American Football (LP, $12)

What can I say? American Football has long been lauded as an emo / slowcore classic, and it was only right to honor them with getting this amazing album. If "Never Meant" doesn't get those heartstrings a-tugged, nothing will. On the other hand, now I have this insatiable desire to crank some Red House Painters. The packaging on this one is a bit vanilla, but I'm okay with that.

Cap'n Jazz – Analphabetapolothology (2×CD, $14)

I adore Cap'n Jazz's Burritos... album, but everything by them except this discography collection is long out of print. Polyvinyl didn't have the vinyl version so I got the CD instead (and of course I find out afterwards that the label, Jade Tree, does still have the vinyl version... such is life).

Anyway, I was pretty psyched to hear something new from them. As good as Burritos... is, I can't help but crave some new music from the band that got me into emo in the first place. By the way, I thought that we as a species had moved beyond putting those godawful sticker labels on the tops of CDs that leave nasty residue and ruin everything. What's the deal?

Owls – Owls (LP, $14)

Surpise, another Kinsella band! Especially since Owls basically is Cap'n Jazz with one fewer member and a more mature sound, and almost as good. Like the American Football album, there isn't really anything to say about the release itself, but whatever; the music is good so I'm not gonna complain.

Minor Threat – Out Of Step (12" EP, $10)

I apparently forgot that I was going to do a Dischord haul at some point, because I saw this in Polyviny's shop and couldn't resist. It's no original pressing, obviously, but I like having my vinyl Minor Threat collection nearly rounded out (I have the yellow first-two-7"-compilation as well). Anyway, classic hardcore, you can't go wrong.

Paris, Texas – Action Fans Help Us! (CD EP, free)

This has to be one of the coolest CDs I've ever seen. It's like a regular five-inch disc where the outer two inches are clear plastic, but still with screen printing over it. I wish I could find a picture online because it's a bit tough to describe. But it's really cool, take my word for it.

Anyway, I've never heard of Paris, Texas (the band) before but they're a sort of indie rock group a bit similar to Japandroids and Polyvinyl assumed I'd enjoy them based on my other purchases. I'm not entirely sure they were right; they seem a bit silly and generic to me. Time and more listens will tell.

Update: Full review here

31Knots – Talk Like Blood (CD, free)

And another bonus promo album! It's some kind of weird indie rock / new wave / post-hardcore / ska fusion that isn't bad, but it's a bit generic-sounding (somehow). I can kind of understand if copies of this actually were gathering dust on a shelf at Polyvinyl, as they jokingly stated. Still, I'm sort of liking it; I have a feeling this one will be a grower (I'm noticing it's back-stacked with all the good tracks at the end for some reason). And of course you can't beat a free extra!

Winston's Essentials (MP3, free)

Just a random sampler compilation I found for free, so I figured why not? A few bands I've heard of, a couple I actually like, and all the same kind of silly indie rock / indie pop. Not that I was expecting anything else.

Hey Girl, Hey: A Polyvinyl Sampler (MP3, free)

I didn't even order this one, so that came as a cool bonus. It's mostly bands I've never heard of, and a couple I've simply never heard, but there are a few interesting things in there like Owen (alias of a member of Cap'n Jazz and American Football), so if nothing else it will be a fun listen and I'll hear some new stuff.

Other stuff

Also included was a huge (18×24) poster for the newest Headlights album. I know nothing about this band so I doubt I'll be hanging that up anytime soon, but it's still definitely a neat addition. Also, the obligatory Airheads: pink lemonade. I hope it will be as delicious as I imagine. (Update: I waited way too long to eat it, like six months, and it got a bit stale. Oh well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment