Monday, April 30, 2012

Record store haul: April 29, 2012

I decided to pass on Record Store Day this year because it sounded stupid. Apparently I didn't miss much. I found a decent amount of stuff at Used Kids today, although it seems like the selection was a bit slimmer compared to usual. Such is life.

Kraftwerk – The Man-Machine (LP, $8)

While I prefer my Kraftwerk in pure, unfiltered German, I'll take an English copy if I find one in good condition for a good price, as I have done here. It's classic electronic music, as I barely need mention as anyone who'd be interested has surely heard it by now. It took me forever to get into them, but I'm glad I did; despite their being considered kitschy and outdone by now, they still have great songs that don't sound too dated to me. This was a great find to go along with my cassette of Autobahn; now if only I could find a copy of Computerwelt... sigh.

Wolf Eyes – Slicer (CD, $7)

Not my favorite Wolf Eyes, but I'll snag anything by them as it seems to be rare material—although it is odd that it's the second Wolf Eyes release I've found in the same store. I guess Columbus has its share of noise lovers. I actually haven't listened to this in a long time, so my opinion has probably changed—I probably haven't heard it since I really started to "understand" noise music—so it's totally possible that I'll like it a lot more now. We'll see.

Mission of Burma – Spider's Web (12", $3)

This is a limited promotional single that someone felt fit to dump about seven copies in the store all at once. I snagged one, and was elated to find that the B-side has a really cool etching on it. Oh, and the music is decent too. Not quite up there with their oldest stuff, but who's surprised?

E. Nygma – The Freewheelin' E. Nygma (3" CD-R, $1)

This CD has been sitting in the "avant-garde stuff no one understands" section for a long time now, with the dismissive "Who knows?" written on the price tag. Interestingly, while the liner notes mention eight tracks (and I found a download confirming this), the disc inside had only three, and the music was different. Not sure what happened there. Both releases are amateurish noise.

Antonín Dvořák – Symphony No. 9 ‹From the New World› [Concertgebouw Orchestra / Sir Colin Davis] (cassette, $1)

I'm pretty sure I have Dvořák's ninth symphony somewhere on vinyl (at least one copy), but it's good, and I like tapes, so whatever. It's not a bad recording, not the greatest I've heard, but Philips' classical cassettes are a decent little bunch.

U-God – Golden Arms Redemption (cassette, $1)

I've heard many people say that U-God's solo album was bad, and I seem to be among a tiny minority that actually liked it. Yeah, it's a bit poppy and cheesy, but it's got those classic east coast beats (only a few RZA, sadly, but the other producers don't do too badly themselves) and I am a fan of U-God's unique voice; his rapping here is really not that bad. Yeah, it's a bit campy, but whatever. I like it.

Björk – Big Time Sensuality (cassette, $1)

A single from her album Debut, which for some reason I don't yet have even though I've heard it and it's just as good as her other ones. This single has a couple neato remixes on it. Nothing terribly special, but a cool find nonetheless.

L.G.A.S.M. – July 15th 2009 @ Strange Maine (cassette, $2)

Another release rescued from the "avant-garde stuff no one understands" section. This is a live show of a band that plays some sort of improvisational noise not-quite-rock, like a shitty Black Dice. It's not terrible, but I wasn't too impressed on first listen. Props for using a recycled, spraypainted tape; no props for having the same thing on both sides. That's just silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment