Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Graf Orlock – Doombox

2010 • Vi.tri.ol

I'll say it again: I love EPs, and grind band Graf Orlock has delivered a nice little package themselves with Doombox. While not perfect, they have definitely created something polished and thought-out.

Graf Orlock's particular brand of grind is one that's heavily infused with a hardcore punk and crust punk, giving it a bit of a thrashy edge; while this style is nothing unique it's always nice to hear. For just six short songs, they throw quite a nice mix of styles at the listener without ever seeming too random or inconsistent and without mindlessly blasting. Mindless blasting has its place, sure, but here it's avoided well with the extra punk and metal bits.

Their decision to use two vocalists is a bit strange, and while normally I wouldn't mind, one of them is particularly annoying (I'm referring to the first one heard). It's probably listener preference, but I think the other vocalist's style fits the music way better. It could be because he sounds a bit like Agoraphobic Nosebleed's vocalist, so I can associate him with grind more easily, but that's just me.

This is the perfect release to pick up if you're looking for some quick and dirty grind that's fresh without being too cerebral. Apparently they have a few full-lengths that I ought to check out as well, and if they're as quality as Doombox we'd definitely have something special here.

7

No comments:

Post a Comment