Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Record store haul: August 31, 2013

Set Fire to Flames – Sings Reign Rebuilder (2×LP, $5)

To be honest, I'm not really the biggest fan of Set Fire to Flames, although it's been a really long time since I listened to them. Less Godspeed post-rock and more field recordings and improvisational meanderings in strings and guitar. It has a really nice booklet inside, too, very reminiscent of the F♯A♯∞ CD booklet, with bizarre photos and semi-transparent pages.

324 – 冒涜の太陽 (LP, $6)

This was kind of an odd buy—I have only heard of 324 because they did a split with Corrupted and Discordance Axis. Usually the grindcore bands Corrupted does splits with are awful (maybe I just don't like Japanese grind?). This album is pretty decent, though; nothing groundbreaking, but definitely worth a spin or two.

Mouth of the Architect – The Ties That Blind (CD, $3)

Used Kids' metal CD section is usually pretty lame, with mallcore and hair metal that deserved to be sold back. There were, though, about five or six discs of what I'd consider "good", and this was probably the best of them. Mouth of the Architect never really got their due as one of the best "post-metal" bands of the 2000s, but at least I appreciate them. I'm even going to see them play tonight! It should be awesome. (And you can read about it here soon!)

Sugar – File Under: Easy Listening (CD, $5)

Normally I wouldn't have picked this up—my girlfriend already has it on tape—but this is some sort of special edition. It comes bound in a book of sorts, with a bunch of pages (like filing folders, get it?). The CD is in the first one, and the rest have tabs with the song titles and a lyric sheet stored in each. It's bulky and a bit goofy, but I think it's a pretty cool way to package the album.

Leftöver Crack – Mediocre Generica (CD, $5)

Anyone who's read my review of Fuck World Trade knows I'd jump at the opportunity to pick up their first album too, even if it's only on CD. It's not quite as good, as they hadn't perfected their sound just yet, but it's definitely still underrated and a great, raw album.

Leftöver Crack – Rock the 40 oz. (CD, $5)

And what did I find right next to it, but the final item needed to complete my Leftöver Crack collection! Their first two EPs and some demos on a compilation CD. It has surprisingly good quality for what it is, although I can't say I prefer these versions of these songs over those on Mediocre Generica and Fuck World Trade. Obviously still worth having if you're as big a fan as I am.

Robedoor / Leslie Keffer – Hooded Communion / Silver Bridge (LP, $8)

I just know this one was a mistake, and I haven't even listened to it yet. Noise/drone releases are always a crapshoot, especially splits, and there's always more bad than good. I don't even think I actually like Robedoor.

Curmudgeon – Human Ouroboros (7", $3)

I actually discovered this band about a week or two ago on Bandcamp, so it was a really surprising coincidence that this EP just so happened to be in the store. Raw, old-school powerviolence, and that's all you need to know. Good stuff (and free on Bandcamp, I think).

The Crimson Curse / The Festival of Dead Deer – Split (7", $2.5)

Half of the reason I got this was because it looked like some more sweet raw punk stuff. The other half was because it's a square record! How is that not cool? The music itself is a little average, but at least listenable. Lo-fi screamo on one side, weird mathcore on the other.

Molemen – Put Your Quarter Up (12", $4)

I'd never heard of Molemen before, but having two of my favorite rappers on one single (Aesop Rock and MF Doom) made this incredibly appealing. The A-side is actually a surprisingly good track, too—drawly boom bap about arcades or something like that. Considering Used Kids' hip hop section is always dismal at best, this was definitely a neat pickup.

Killing Joke – Sanity / Eighties (12", $2)

Okay I really only got this because my girlfriend likes to randomly sing "Eighties" now and again (who can blame her, really?). I have barely listened to any Killing Joke and the A-side isn't particularly good, but whatever.

And today instead of a sticker I got a button! Hooray!

1 comment:

  1. eighties, get out my way, i'm not for sale no moreeeee ♫♪♫♪ eightiessssss

    ReplyDelete