Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Eiffel 65 – Europop

November 30, 1999 • WEA Records

I finally decided to give this another spin now, in 2013, and it's probably been ten-plus years since I last heard any of these songs (including "Blue"). This was one of the only albums I ever listened to back when I was ten, so the nostalgia factor here is enormous—everything here reminds me of hanging out at my friend's house, building Legos, reading terrible horror novels, playing his Playstation 1 (yep, "My Console" was amazingly relevant).

Still, I can't help but feel that at least a couple of these songs are still pretty good. The album's overall tone, the spacey, ethereal, cold aesthetic, is really good. Naturally I like the more "serious" tracks like "Too Much of Heaven" or "Now Is Forever" over the cheese that is sings like "Move Your Body" or "Your Clown" (although something about "Living in a Bubble" and "Hyperlink" is strangely fascinating).

Of course, it could be that the elements of this album I still enjoy are because I listened to this so much back in the day. I'm not complaining either way.

And yeah, it's really not a good album. It's often kind of stupid and repetitive; definitely the kind of thing you put on as background music at best. But if you don't take it seriously (and you shouldn't), it's at least sort of fun.

5

No comments:

Post a Comment