Thursday, May 30, 2013

Melvins

May 28, 2013 • A&R Music Bar, Columbus, Ohio

I've never been much into Melvins, especially compared to most sludge/doom fans, but I figured I shouldn't pass up on an opportunity to see a band considered by so many to be legendary and hugely influential. I remembered a little too late that I don't actually like Melvins as much as I thought I did. Sure, they have some good stuff (like (A) Senile Animal) but I was never a big fan of their slow, drone-doomy material.

The show in general was a mixed bag: some of that slow, drone-doomy stuff, and some faster songs as well. Unfortunately most of what I saw at A&R was the former, and I wasn't taken with it. During the longer songs it got very repetitive, to the point where I got bored more than a few times (entertaining myself by seeing if the two drummers would hit the cymbal they shared at the same time). It didn't help that I only recognized perhaps one song (although, again, I don't listen to them much). I did enjoy when they did pull out the faster songs, which I could get into; there just wasn't enough of that. The sound was good, though; even with earplugs it was quite loud (though I felt like I heard more of it through my body than my ears, with all the bass frequencies going on). And to be fair, there were plenty of other people there who were enjoying it, and it's obviously a matter of personal preference, but my impressions weren't great.

Speaking of other people, Melvins have some real asshole fans. I guess any semi-famous band gets its share, but come on, have some sense of respect for others' personal space. And put a shirt on. Goddamn.

So after nearly two hours, I had had my fill, so I left (only the second show I've ever left early). But I had good reason. Tune in next time to read why in our exciting conclusion!
5Best Wizard Robe Award

No comments:

Post a Comment