Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Field Engine – Engines

August 11, 2012 • self-released

The world is out to get me with these free improv artists. I swear I was searching for "jazz" on Bandcamp, and this is what came out. I suppose Field Engine does have something of a jazzy twist to them, and even though ultimately it's still free improv, they manage to pull together something relatively coherent and I have to say I'm actually enjoying myself for once.

Engines' sound is pretty interesting to start, and unlike a lot of improv I've heard it sounds quite well-structured. There is something of a minimalist noise rock band setup—drums, fuzz guitar, various electronics—though the electronics take center stage most of the time. There's a bit of composition to it, some buildups and teardowns, and the band definitely feels like they are trying to move as a group instead of just doing whatever they please, which is quite refreshing.

Instrumentally, it's a bit hit-or-miss, maybe. The drums are doing some very jazzy things; it's all still improvisation but it's the kind of stuff you'd find in a typical jazz solo. There's definitely a lot of competency behind it and it's not just random blasting; the drummer sounds like he knows exactly what he's doing (unlike a lot of free improv drumming I've heard before) so it's actually pretty decent to listen to. There's even the occasional nice groove set up (such as the beginning of "IV") which is neat to hear.

The electronics and the guitar, on the other hand, are a bit spotty. Some of the electronics sound like they are being triggered by the drums directly, which is pretty neat and makes things feel a bit more cohesive, but most of the time they're doing their own thing. Fortunately they're kept pretty minimalistic so they don't overwhelm. The guitar, though, is the definite weak spot. Although the guitarist knows when to shut up or quiet down, when he does play it's often a mess. Unlike the tight soloing style of the drums, the guitar is all over the place in terms of style and rhythm, sounding like someone who's never touched a guitar before just messing around.

Still, though, it's a huge step up from most free improv I've heard: appropriately consistent, not too overbearing, mostly well-played. It's a glimmer of hope for me in my free-improv-listening career. Maybe I should stop being so pessimistic about it. Maybe.

6

No comments:

Post a Comment