Friday, March 16, 2012

Elegi – Sistereis

June 2007 • Miasmah Recordings

Admittedly I have a soft spot deep down for Sistereis, it being one of the very first dark ambient albums I ever heard, but it still remains a personal favorite for me. Of course it isn't the greatest in the genre and it doesn't capture me the same as it used to, but it's still enjoyable.

The mood on this album is definitely one of the best I've heard. The combination of echoing drones, lonely piano, and creepy sampling gives the album a very desparing feel, like the album is an old house which is creaky and falling apart. It never gets to a point where the music is actually scary but it can get a bit unsettling at times, and there are even some places where the music is a bit hopeful (e.g. "Interbellum").

However the album does tend to drag on a bit and the tracks are mostly very similar, so attentive listening is very difficult. Even as background music, though, the album does still do a good job of quietly reminding the listener it's there. And let's be honest, ambient music isn't really known for being particularly interesting—if Brian Eno were dead, he'd be spinning in his grave at my suggesting otherwise.

So again, it's not close to the best dark ambient I've heard and I'm not as enamored with it as I used to be, but it does do just about everything right and makes a great introduction to the genre. Play it at your next Halloween party. No need to thank me.

7

No comments:

Post a Comment