Tuesday, October 11, 2011

M1dy – Speedcore Dandy

August 2002 • Sharpnelsound

I was recommended Speedcore Dandy a long, long time ago, under circumstances I don't even remember, as something new and interesting to listen to. (Actually I was recommended the similarly-titled Speedcore Dandy XXX and wound up with this one instead.) I wasn't well-versed in electronic music at all then, so I was intrigued by the new style of music. Nowadays I'm a bit more familiar with extreme electronic like this so it is interesting to listen to it again after so long with a different frame of mind.

Compared to similar works, I don't happen to think it's anything particularly special or unique, but it is quite good at what it does. Most of the beats are pretty simple: hard, fast bass hits, lots of distorted, insistent synths, processed guitar, and some neat samples, many of which are incorporated into the tracks as instruments themselves. The formula is pretty straightforward, but it doesn't disappoint and it's a sound that works well and which I happen to enjoy quite a bit—aggressive, in-your-face, but it doesn't ever get to be too much all at once.

For a lot of people, especially those who aren't familiar with hardcore techno, I can imagine Speedcore Dandy to be a bit of a chore to listen to all the way through at once, and I don't even know if it's supposed to be taken in that way, but it's doable for me this time around. When I first heard this album I dismissed it as being too samey and repetitive and got tired of it halfway through. For someone with a very rock-centered viewpoint, that's probably understandable, but I don't agree with that anymore. Each track itself is maybe a bit repetitive, but through the whole album there is a nice variation of different drumbeats and synth/sampling techniques presented.

Sure, it's a good, mindless, fun (and very silly at times) album for maybe the dance floor or what have you, but it's got intricacies that can be appreciated through semi-focused listening as well. It's not something I imagine myself putting on a whole lot, but I am glad that I have come to appreciate this style more, even if Speedcore Dandy wasn't the best place to start.

6

2 comments:

  1. sounds like i won't like it at all... you also misspelled understand ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, fixed... and yeah, I don't think you'd like this at all

    ReplyDelete